Welcome to the NEW Shannon County, Missouri Website!
When first organized in 1841, Shannon County embraced a much larger area. When Texas, Reynolds, and Carter counties organized, they absorbed parts of Shannon County.
For the first courthouse, officials picked a site near the county's center, across the Current River near Round Spring. Built in 1845, the 16 by 20 foot, hewn-log courthouse cost $75. Fires caused by Civil War activities destroyed this first courthouse with all the records.
After the war, county officials again looked for a location near the county's center for a new courthouse. Thomas J. Chilton deeded 50 acres, one of the few sites with clear title, upon which Eminence was laid out in 1868. Within a year, builders completed a 30-foot square, weatherboarded courthouse. The contract price was a $3,000 bid by William Orchard and T.B. Dunvas of Thomasville, Oregon County. Fire destroyed the building on December 31, 1871.
The next courthouse was built as a two-story frame with offices on the first floor, and a courthouse on the second. In time the county outgrew this courthouse; the county and circuit clerks' offices moved to other quarters. An arsonist set fire to the courthouse and both clerk's offices in March of 1895. The courthouse was not seriously damaged, although all county records were destroyed. The building was later moved to the north side of the square and used for several years as a commercial building. No known photographs of these early courthouses exist.
County citizens voted November 10, 1898, to finance the next courthouse by a direct tax. In March 1899, the court invited architects and builders to submit plans. County Court officials selected Henry H. Hohenschild's first plans for a building costing about $9,000, almost twice the sum Shannon County could commit. The court contemplated possible changes and asked the architect to draw plans for a building costing less than $5,000.
Partial funding came from the Odd Fellows for the attic story, used for their lodge, which probably explains the unusual roof configuration. The first story was arranged for the office space; the courtroom, measuring 34 1/2 by 38 1/2 feet, and two jury rooms were on the second floor.
R.M. Beatty, the contractor, was supervised by George Mathews (sic) of West Plains. Henry Cardz acted as county superintendent. Cornerstone ceremonies took place on August 11, 1899. On May 23, 1938, a fire destroyed this courthouse, which was insured for $23,500.
After the courthouse burned, an election to remove the county seat to Winona failed. A project submitted to the Work Projects Administration was rejected in June 1939. Still, after architect Dan R. Sanford, Springfield, conferred with the court in August regarding plans for a new courthouse, the proposal was resubmitted and approved in November 1939. The two-story plus basement building, built of reinforced concrete, concrete blocks, and structural steel, has brick veneer with white stone entry. It was completed in the summer of 1941 and dedicated August 2, 1941.